Wednesday, November 22, 2006
PERUGIA-10 Random Facts
Crooning on my STEREO: Walking Away by THE EGG
Lord knows how swiftly time flies. 5 weeks left till the end of my Italian stint.
I can't, quite, digest that either. To my secondary despair my camera broke.
Thats okay. Memories and experiences are eternal. I am never obliged to share them with you anyway.
Apart from the very useful Italian foul words.
Oh, and 10 random facts about this bizzarre city.
1) This is the TOWN CENTER. Small, I know. You see the stairs behind the fountain? I used to do my Italian homework there when I first arrived until it got dreadfully cold. Plus, my yellow skin was also attracting lots of unnecessary attention from asianphiles.
Everyday after midnight, 100s of student-drunkards (including me) will pile themselves on the steps chanting mangled Italian and throwing plastic cups at each other. (glass bottles are prohibited after 10pm for obvious reasons)
2) By law, smoking is not allowed in all pubs and nightclubs in Italy. Of course, you do get the occasional idiot who lights up and causes an inferno.
3) Crime Rate in Perugia is almost nil. But that doesn't mean you can leave your flat with its doors open.
4) Somewhere along every 100m of the city's pedestrian paths, you are bound to have nearly missed a mountain of dog poo.
5) RnB is not big here. HOUSE is BIG. I think its due to the lack of English lyrics in the latter.
6) You can never catch any non-Italian matches live. Be it champs league or coconut cup. You can search till the world's end and the pub owners would never have heard of AR-SE-NAL.
7) 2/3 of the student population does marijuana. So don't bother calling the police. Thank You.
8) 60% of the student population are below 21. Depravation has forced me to lie about my age on several occasions.
9) A full length CD (yes, they do have half-length samplers with incomplete songs) costs 20 Euros.
10) PERUGIA IS SMALL. DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID.